Issue not shutting down

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
Hey all,

Had the PC for a couple of weeks now and have a couple of issues.

First off, when I select shut down it will start the process but then just hangs. Waking up the next morning to find the PC has been on all night was interesting :p

Secondly, I seem to have the same issue as others have mentioned on here regarding their 6 gb/s Sata showing as 3gb/s on boot up.

Will shut the PC down just now to see if I can go through the checks that were suggested to yamibone in his thread and will update.

If anyone can give me some stuff to try for the shut down issue I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers...

Sweeney47

Wow, I had this the other day, I clicked Shut Down on my pc, the loading circle came up and then just froze... Thought it was just a 1 off but maybe its a problem with Windows?

Matt

Bright Spark
This can happen guys if another programme is still running, or if another programme has hanged when shutting down. Did you get a message pop up saying that xxx has not shut down properly?

Sweeney47

no nothing like that, it litterly just froze and locked up on mine, I had just told a program to close and clicked the shutdown button pretty soon after (love having a speedy pc again :p) and so I kind of put it down to that. However I'm not sure if thats the same issue Tabasco is getting as by looking for a reason behind it I saw a lot of people complaining about it freezing on the "Windows is Shutting Down" window

Matt

Bright Spark
no nothing like that, it litterly just froze and locked up on mine, I had just told a program to close and clicked the shutdown button pretty soon after (love having a speedy pc again :p) and so I kind of put it down to that. However I'm not sure if thats the same issue Tabasco is getting as by looking for a reason behind it I saw a lot of people complaining about it freezing on the "Windows is Shutting Down" window

Alrighty, well in that case i have nothing to offer.

I did find this problem happened to me on vista 64 at times.

Have not had it happen on windows 7 yet.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
It can be difficult to pinpoint the exact cause, it's an issue that cropped up on computers since I can remember, and is almost certainly software related. If it's happening every single time, try the Ctrl, alt, del and manually shut programs down one by one in task manager, then see if the shut down problem remains, until you only have system tasks running.

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
Cool, will try that and get back to you.

I also just looked inside the PC and can confirm that it is a 6gb/s wire and is plugged into the right grey socket, so if anyone can suggest anything else I can try?

Meds

Hi Tabasco,

I'm going to bite the bullet and say the fault is most likely due to the HDD. After a couple of members of the forum noting this fault, it has also occured during the Testing Depts on a couple of occasions too. So far, after exhausting numerous different avenues, the only fix so far is to replace the HDD.

Is this something you will be happy to fit yourself if we arrange for one to be sent to you?

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Meds,

Yeah I'd be fine with that. Just a question of sliding it in to the bay, screwing in, and plugging the HDD back in yeah? I guess that it'll need to be a full clean install of Win7 too?

Do I need to do anything to get the ball rolling or what?

Thanks dude :)

And hey, if this has to happen, maybe the shut down issue will go away too \o/

Last edited:

Meds

lol, glad to hear you're ok with it as it saves us stealing your PC from you for a short while! Send me a PM with your order number and it will remind me to sort it all out in the morning for you - you'll be surprised what I can forget with just one nights sleep :)

And yes, I'm afraid it is a full reinstall of Windows 7 so back up any data you want to keep asap! Fingers crossed it will also be the end of the shut down issues too!

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
Right, the very fine Meds has sorted me out with a new HDD which will be arriving tomorrow. I'm not actually going to be available in the house until Friday so will need to call DHL to re-arrange the delivery. But thanks again for the swift response dude, really appreciate it...

Meds

No problem at all mate, it's what I'm here for! Don't forget to keep us all updated on how you get on.

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
This will probably come across as a noob question but what is the situation regarding doing a clean install on a NEW HDD, like I have on the way? Do you guys not need to to activate it or something?

Even if it does install fine, will the online activation go ok??

Never done a clean install before, just a few upgrades years ago...

Meds

Its easy mate.

Once you've fitted the HDD and plugged it in, just switch the PC on stick the W7 CD in. Follow through the on screen instructions step by step and at the end it will ask if you want to automatically activate windows online - tick the box and it will do it all itself!

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah cool. Just did a clean install there to get most of my personal info off.

Again, might be a stupid thing to ask but when I boot it up now, the GC is not showing. I assume once I get the new HDD and do another clean install on it I just need to D/L the Nvidia drivers? Then the 1gb 460 will show?